Does it Stack Up as a Quality Hunting Boot?
Howdy, fellow hunters! As someone who spends countless hours exploring the great outdoors, I know the importance of reliable and comfortable footwear. Today, I’m excited to share my Merrell Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots Review. Join me as I take you through the features, performance, and overall thoughts on these boots.
Table of contents
- Does it Stack Up as a Quality Hunting Boot?
- Unboxing the Men’s Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots
- Features of the Men’s Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots
- Qualities Of Good Hunting Boot
- Testing the Moab 3 Prime
- Performance on the Hunt
- Merrell Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boot Conclusion
- Merrell Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boot FAQs
Unboxing the Men’s Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots
Unboxing the Men’s Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots was straightforward. The boots came in a Merrell branded sturdy box. Not that the look is a deal breaker for me in a hunting boot, but the Moab 3 Prime is a good-looking boot. As I laced them up for the first time, I could tell they were well-built and comfortable. They are light
considering most applications, at 1lbs. and 3.04 oz (540g).
Features of the Men’s Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots
- Bellows tongue: Keeps out debris
- Breathable Mesh Lining: The boots have a breathable mesh lining that keeps my feet cool and sweat-free, preventing discomfort during extended wear.
- Kinetic Fit™ ADVANCED removable contoured footbed with reinforced heel cushioning for medium support
- Leather: Full grain leather upper
- Merrell Air Cushioning: The Moab 3 Prime Mid features Merrell’s air cushioning in the heel, providing excellent shock absorption and added stability. This feature is a game-changer during long hikes and challenging treks.
- Protective Toe Cap: The boots are equipped with a protective toe cap that shields my toes from potential impacts and abrasions, providing an added layer of safety during rough and rocky terrains.
- Super Rebound Compound midsole: provides durable shock absorption to help reduce torque and allow for a smooth transition into the midfoot
- Waterproof Construction: One of the standout features of the Moab 3 Prime Mid is its waterproof construction. The boots have a Gore-Tex membrane that keeps my feet dry and comfortable, even during wet and rainy conditions.
- Vibram Outsole: The boots boast a Vibram outsole that provides exceptional traction on various terrains. From slippery rocks to muddy trails, the outsole ensures a secure grip, allowing me to move confidently through any landscape.
- Drop: 11.5mm
- Lug: 5mm
- Single Boot Wieght: 1lbs-3.04oz, 540g
- MSRP: $165.00
Qualities Of Good Hunting Boot
Different people would undoubtedly define a good hunting boot differently. Further, different hunting scenarios demand different hunting boots. In my case, I wanted a good set of early-season Elk archery hunting boots. Good hunting boots can greatly impact your comfort, safety, and overall hunting experience. Here are some qualities to look for in a good pair of hunting boots:
- Waterproof: Hunting often involves traversing wet and muddy terrain, so waterproof boots are crucial to keep your feet dry and comfortable.
- Insulation: Depending on the hunting season and location, you may need insulated boots to keep your feet warm in cold weather. Look for boots with Thinsulate or other insulation materials.
- Durability: Hunting can be tough on footwear, so look for boots made from high-quality materials like leather or synthetic materials known for their durability.
- Comfort: Comfort is key when you’re on your feet for extended periods. Look for boots with cushioned insoles, arch support, and a comfortable fit that doesn’t cause blisters or hotspots.
- Traction: Good hunting boots should have a sturdy outsole with excellent traction to prevent slips and falls, especially on uneven or slippery terrain.
- Support: Ankle support is important to prevent injuries and provide stability, especially when navigating rough terrain or carrying heavy gear.
- Weight: Lighter boots are generally more comfortable for long treks, while heavier boots may provide more support and durability. Choose according to your hunting style and preferences.
- Camouflage or bledable: Many hunters prefer boots with camouflage patterns to help them blend in with their surroundings and avoid spooking game.
- Scent control: Some hunting boots come with scent control technology to minimize your scent footprint, which can be crucial for getting close to game animals.
- Fit: Ensure that the boots fit your feet properly and leave enough room for thicker hunting socks if needed. A good fit can prevent blisters and discomfort.
- Lacing system: Look for boots with a reliable lacing system that allows you to secure them tightly and adjust as needed.
- Breathability: Breathable boots help prevent your feet from becoming sweaty and uncomfortable during long hunts. Proper ventilation is especially important in warmer weather.
- Size and weight: Consider the weight and bulk of the boots, as you may need to hike long distances to reach your hunting spot. Lighter, more compact boots can be advantageous in such situations.
- Insulated or uninsulated: Choose insulation based on the season and climate where you’ll be hunting. Insulated boots are better for cold weather, while uninsulated boots are more suitable for warmer conditions.
- Brand and reviews: Read reviews and consider reputable brands known for their hunting footwear. Other hunters’ experiences can provide valuable insights into a boot’s performance and durability.
Remember that the right hunting boots can significantly affect your hunting success and comfort. Prioritize the qualities that align with your specific hunting needs and conditions. It’s also essential to break in your boots before an extended hunting trip to ensure they are comfortable and won’t cause blisters or discomfort.
Testing the Moab 3 Prime
Because, as most of you know, the time to find out your boot won’t hold up is not when you are hunting, I spent three months running these boots through the ringer.
- Archery and shooting range
- Back Packing Trips
- Scouting Trips
All in all, on my AllTrails app, over 70 miles, some trails with elevation changes up to 3,400 feet, and through countless types of terrains and altitudes. The result was that these boots were comfortable, durable, waterproof, light enough for long hikes, and quite in the field. They would suit nicely for my hunt.
Performance on the Hunt
My first hunting season with the Men’s Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots saw various environments and habitats. It was a month-long archery Elk/Deer hunt. Throughout the season, I could hunt 12 days with a couple of 4-day trips. I was hiking, camping in drop camps, and a few days in a friend’s RV. All in all, I camped on nights when it was 27 degrees and hunted afternoons where it was almost 80, and everything in between. It was an excellent test for these boots that had held up the months before.
I tested how waterproof the boots were multiple times, and they lived true to the claim during a sudden downpour. While my fellow hunter’s feet were soaked, and he had to swap out his boots, my feet remained dry and comfortable, allowing me to focus on the hunt without any distractions.
The Vibram outsole was a game-changer during one of my treks through a rugged mountain trail. It provided exceptional traction. They will tackle steep inclines and slippery surfaces easily and comfortably. Crossing a stream or traversing a boulder-strewn path, the outsole kept me steady and sure-footed.
I found the Merrell air cushioning a real blessing during long hunting trips. It provided excellent support and shock absorption, reducing fatigue and foot discomfort. The cushioned support allowed me to hike for hours without feeling the usual strain on my feet and joints. I typically am mindful of my feet because they have given me problems when I didn’t correctly prep them. So, I was careful before putting my boots on and did proper foot care when returning to camp. I had no problems with aches, pains, or blisters.
The breathable mesh lining kept my feet cool and dry even during intense hikes in hot weather. It prevented sweat build-up, ensuring my feet felt fresh and comfortable throughout my adventures.
Merrell Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boot Conclusion
In conclusion, I found the Men’s Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boots to be an excellent deal for the money and had no issues with them. Their waterproof construction, Vibram outsole, Merrell air cushioning, protective toe cap, and breathable mesh lining make them an exceptional choice for conquering rugged terrains and unpredictable weather conditions. As with any boot that doesn’t have an element of scent control, you want to be mindful of that and treat them with scent-free products, but as far as production, they are a great boot at a great price!
Merrell Moab 3 Prime Mid Waterproof Boot FAQs
While the boots provide excellent waterproofing, they are not insulated for extreme cold. For colder weather, wearing appropriate thermal socks or insulated boot liners is recommended.
Absolutely! These boots are versatile and can be used for various outdoor activities, such as hiking, camping, fishing, and more.
To clean the boots, use a soft brush to remove dirt and debris. A mixture of mild soap and water can be used for stubborn stains. Avoid using harsh chemicals or solvents. After cleaning, allow the boots to air dry in a cool, shaded area.