Is the Diamondback DB15 300 Blackout a Great Deal?
The Diamondback DB15 chambered in 300 Blackout is a lightweight, reliable, and customizable AR-style rifle that is good for various shooting applications. In this Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout Review, we will take a closer look at the features and performance of the DB15, including its carbon fiber barrel, Magpul furniture, and overall shooting experience.
Table of Contents
Table of contents
- Is the Diamondback DB15 300 Blackout a Great Deal?
- History of the Diamondback Firearms
- History of the Carbon DB15 300 Blackout
- The .300 ACC Blackout
- Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout Specifications
- Diamondback DB15 .300 Review Final Thoughts
- Diamondback DB15 .300 Review FAQs
History of the Diamondback Firearms
Diamondback Firearms was founded in 2009 in Cocoa, Florida. The company was started by a group of gun enthusiasts who were passionate about firearms and wanted to create high-quality guns that were both reliable and affordable.
Diamondback Firearms introduced the first product line, the DB380 series of pocket pistols, which were chambered in .380 ACP. The pistols are small and lightweight, making them easy to carry and conceal. The DB380 quickly gained a reputation for reliability and accuracy, and it remains a popular choice for concealed carry today.
Over the years, Diamondback Firearms has expanded its product lineup to include a wide range of firearms, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns. The company’s product line includes the popular DB9 and DB15 rifles, known for their lightweight and modular designs.
Diamondback Firearms supports the shooting community. The company sponsors several shooting events and organizations, including the National Rifle Association and the United States Practical Shooting Association.
Today, Diamondback Firearms is a respected name in the firearms industry, known for its commitment to quality and innovation. The company continues to produce high-quality firearms that are both reliable and affordable, and it is a popular choice among gun enthusiasts and professionals alike.
History of the Carbon DB15 300 Blackout
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 is a line of semi-automatic rifles.
The .300 AAC Blackout is a relatively new cartridge developed in the early 2010s to replace the 5.56x45mm NATO round in certain applications. The cartridge is made for AR-15 rifles, requiring only a barrel change. The 300 BLK is optimized for short-barreled rifles and is effective at a range of 300 meters.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout was introduced in 2014. The rifle features a carbon fiber-free-floating handguard, a 16-inch barrel, and a 6-position collapsible stock. The carbon fiber handguard reduces weight and helps dissipate heat more effectively than traditional aluminum handguards.
The DB15 300 Blackout also features a mid-length gas system, which helps to reduce felt recoil and increase reliability. The rifle is modular, with a Picatinny rail on top of the upper receiver and M-Lok attachment points on the handguard for easy accessory mounting.
Since its introduction, the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout has gained a reputation for being a reliable and accurate rifle ideal for hunting, self-defense, and tactical applications. The lightweight design and maneuverability make it an excellent choice for use in confined spaces, and the 300 BLK cartridge is effective against a wide range of targets.
The .300 ACC Blackout
The .300 AAC Blackout (300 BLK or 7.62x35mm) is a relatively new cartridge designed for AR-15 rifles. It was developed by Advanced Armament Corporation (AAC) in partnership with Remington Defense. The goal was to create a cartridge that could provide similar ballistics to the 7.62x39mm cartridge used in the AK-47. Further, it allows for easily converting existing AR-15 rifles to the new cartridge.
The .300 AAC Blackout is a .30 caliber cartridge based on the .223 Remington case. But has a shortened case length and a larger case diameter. This allows it to accommodate heavier bullets without sacrificing magazine capacity or increasing recoil. Bullets range from 110 to 220 grains. Further, it can deliver supersonic or subsonic velocities depending on the load.
The .300 AAC Blackout has become popular in military and civilian applications. It is well-suited for use in short-barreled rifles and pistols.
When you receive a Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle, it comes in a cardboard box. This isn’t a shock because of its reputation for being a quality AR-15 at a great price. They have to keep costs down somewhere. The box has the Diamondback Firearms logo and product name printed on it.
When you open the box, you notice the rifle immediately; ours is in OD/Green, and the gun looks sharp! Upon seeing and feeling the DB15, we feel the Diamondback DB15 .300 Review is off to a good start.
The firearm comes with a 30-round magazine, gun lock, and manual. Again, there’s not much fanfare in the extras; it’s straightforward.
Overall, DiamondBack Firearms is flooring anyone with the packaging, but the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout makes a hell of a first impression.
Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout Specifications
- Caliber: .300 AAC Blackout (also known as 300 BLK)
- Barrel Length: 300 Blackout, 16 in
- Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel, Black Nitride
- Barrel Twist Rate: 1:8 RH
- Gas System: Mid-Length
- Handguard: 15-inch Carbon Fiber M-LOK Rail Free-Float
- Upper Receiver: A3 Flattop Forged 7075 T-6 Aluminum
- Lower Receiver: Forged 7075 T-6 Aluminum
- Bolt Carrier Group: Shot-Peened, Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI), Mil-Spec, 8620 Steel Carrier, Carpenter 158 Steel Bolt, Heat Treated and Plated
- Grip: MOE Grip
- Muzzle Device: A2 .30 Cal Flash Hider [5/8 x 24]
- Stock: 6-Position MOE Carbine Stock Collapsible
- Trigger: Standard Mil-Spec
- Sights: None
- Overall Length: 32.5 inches (collapsed), 36.25 inches (extended)
- Weight: 5.65 pounds
Overall, the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle is lightweight and maneuverable, optimized for the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge. So let’s jump into “The Diamondback DB15 .300 review”.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle features a semi-automatic action. Semi-automatic firearms fire one round each time the trigger is pulled.
The action of the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle is based on the AR-15 platform. The rifle features a direct impingement gas system and a mid-length gas tube, which helps to reduce recoil and increase accuracy.
When the trigger is pulled, the firing pin strikes the primer on the cartridge. Thus igniting the gunpowder and causing the bullet to be propelled out of the barrel. As the bullet moves down the barrel, gases are produced by the burning gunpowder. The gas travels back through the gas tube and into the gas block.
The gas block redirects the gases into the gas key on the bolt carrier group. Thus, causing the bolt carrier group moved backward, ejecting the spent cartridge casing and cocking the hammer. As the bolt carrier group moves forward again, it picks up a new cartridge from the magazine and chambers it into the barrel.
The semi-automatic action of the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle allows for fast follow-up shots and makes the rifle well-suited for various applications.
Bolt Carrier Group
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle features a bolt carrier group (BCG) that is optimized for use with the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge.
The BCG is one of the most important components of a semi-automatic rifle, as it is responsible for cycling the action and ejecting spent cartridges.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle has a 16-inch barrel optimized for use with the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge. Here are some of the key features of the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout barrel:
- Barrel Length: The 16-inch length of the barrel provides a good balance between maneuverability and accuracy. The shorter length makes the rifle more maneuverable in tight spaces while providing enough barrel length to stabilize the bullet and ensure accuracy.
- Barrel Material: The barrel is made from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium Steel. It’s high-strength alloy steel commonly used in firearm barrels. This material provides good resistance to wear and heat, ensuring that the barrel will hold up to extended use.
- Barrel Twist Rate: The barrel has a 1:8 twist rate optimized for use with the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge. This twist rate helps to stabilize the bullet and ensure accuracy, even at longer ranges.
- Gas System: The barrel features a mid-length gas system, which helps to reduce recoil and increase accuracy. This gas system provides a smooth and consistent cycling of the action, which helps improve the rifle’s overall reliability.
- Muzzle Device: The barrel is threaded to accept a muzzle device and comes with an A2 flash hider installed. The flash hider helps to reduce the flash and muzzle rise, which can improve the shooter’s ability to stay on target during rapid fire.
Additionally, the Diamondback Carbon DB15 handguard reduces heat buildup during extended firing sessions, which helps to increase accuracy and reliability.
Capacity, Magazines, and Caliber
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle has a standard capacity of 30 rounds. The rifle uses detachable box magazines inserted into the magazine well located in the lower receiver of the rifle.
The 300 AAC Blackout cartridge is a versatile cartridge designed to be compatible with various magazine types. This includes standard AR-15 magazines. Note: not all AR-15 magazines are optimized for use with the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge, and some may not function properly.
To ensure reliable performance with the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle, it is recommended to use magazines specifically designed for use with the 300 AAC Blackout cartridge.
Various magazines on the market are specifically designed for use with this cartridge. They include magazines from known manufacturers such as Magpul, Lancer, and C-Products Defense.
It is important to note that magazine capacity and restrictions may vary depending on local laws and regulations. The shooter is responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations regarding using and owning firearms and accessories.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle features a standard set of AR-style controls that are intuitive and easy to use. Here are some of the key controls on the rifle:
- Safety: The rifle has an AR-15-style safety on the receiver’s left side, just above the pistol grip.
- Magazine Release: The magazine release button is located on the right side of the receiver, just behind the magazine well. To release the magazine, press the button, and the magazine will drop free from the rifle.
- Bolt Catch: The bolt catch is located on the left side of the receiver, just above the magazine release button.
- Charging Handle: The charging handle is located on the rear of the receiver. It cycles the action of the rifle manually. Pull the charging handle back to charge the rifle and release it to chamber a round.
- Trigger: The rifle features a standard AR-15-style trigger in the lower receiver. The trigger is a two-stage design, with a short take-up and a crisp break.
Overall, the controls on the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle are intuitive and easy to use. They are intuitive to both experienced and novice shooters alike. AR-15-style controls are familiar to many shooters and are known for their reliability and ease of use.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle is both ergonomic and user-friendly. Here are some of the key ergonomic features of the rifle:
- Pistol Grip: The rifle features a standard MAGPUL MOE G pistol grip; it is comfortable and ergonomic. The grip has a textured surface that helps to provide a secure grip. It also has storage inside the grip through a floorplate at the bottom.
- Stock: The rifle features a six-position Mil-Spec MOE® Carbine collapsible stock. You can adjust the length to fit shooters of different sizes. The stock is comfortable and ergonomic, with a rubber butt pad that absorbs recoil and reduces fatigue.
- Handguard: The rifle features a free-floating M-Lok handguard; it is lightweight and comfortable to hold. The handguard has ample space for accessories such as lights, lasers, and bipods.
- Controls: The rifle features standard AR-style controls, designed to be intuitive and easy to use.
- Overall Weight: The rifle weighs just over 6 pounds, making it lightweight and easy to carry. A great choice for hunters, hikers, or anyone who needs to carry their rifle for extended periods.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle features a durable and attractive finish. The finish is applied to both the upper and lower receivers and other metal components of the rifle.
The finish on the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle is a type III hard coat anodized finish. It provides excellent resistance to wear, corrosion, and abrasion. The anodizing process involves immersing the metal components of the rifle in an electrolytic solution. Then passing, an electric current through the solution, which causes a layer of oxide to form on the surface of the metal. This oxide layer provides a hard, durable, and corrosion-resistant surface that helps to protect the underlying metal from damage.
The finish on the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle is an od/Green finish. It provides a low-profile and non-reflective appearance well-suited to a wide range of hunting and shooting applications. The finish is easy to maintain and clean and can be easily wiped down with a damp cloth.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle frame is made from lightweight yet durable materials that are designed to provide a stable and reliable platform for accurate shooting. Here are some of the key features of the frame:
- Upper and Lower Receivers: The rifle features a forged 7075-T6 aluminum upper and lower receiver, which provides a strong and durable foundation for the rest of the rifle.
- Buffer Tube: The rifle features a Mil-Spec buffer tube. It’s compatible with a wide range of aftermarket stocks and accessories.
- Trigger Guard: The rifle features an integrated trigger guard.
- Pivot and Takedown Pins: The rifle features easy-to-use pivot and takedown pins. They allow the upper and lower receivers to be quickly and easily separated for cleaning and maintenance.
- Magazine Well: The rifle features a standard AR-style magazine well, compatible with most standard 5.56mm/.223 Remington magazines.
The DB15 handguard is made of carbon fiber material. It is designed to provide maximum strength and rigidity while minimizing weight.
The carbon fiber construction of the handguard makes it extremely lightweight and durable. This helps to reduce overall weight and increase the rifle’s maneuverability. This is particularly important for shooters who need to carry their rifles for extended periods or operate in tight spaces.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle does not come with factory-installed iron sights. Instead, it features a Picatinny rail on the upper receiver. This allows you to easily mount a variety of optics and sights to the rifle.
Sights that can be mounted on the Picatinny rail include:
- Red Dot Sight: A red dot sight is a popular choice for short-range shooting. They provide quick and easy target acquisition.
- Iron Sights: Iron sights are a traditional type of sighting system. They are simple, durable, and do not require batteries or electronics.
- Magnified Optics: Magnified optics, such as scopes or telescopic sights, can be used for longer-range shooting. They offer variable magnification, allowing the shooter to zoom in on the target for greater accuracy.
Overall, the Picatinny rail on the Diamondback DB15 300 Blackout rifle provides flexibility when choosing a sight or optic.
The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle comes with a MOE® Carbine Stock – Mil-Spec six-position collapsible stock. The stock is adjustable, which allows the shooter to customize the length of pull to fit their individual shooting style and body type.
Some of the key features of the stock on the DB15 300 Blackout rifle include:
- Six-Position Collapsible: The DB15 300 Blackout rifle stock adjusts to six positions.
- Lightweight: The stock on the DB15 300 Blackout is light.
- Ergonomic Design: The DB15 300 Blackout rifle stock is ergonomic, with a comfortable cheek rest and textured grip surface.
- QD Sling Attachment Points: The DB15 300 Blackout rifle stock features quick-detach (QD) sling attachment points. They allow the shooter to easily attach and detach a sling for improved mobility and flexibility.
Diamondback DB15 .300 Review Final Thoughts
Our Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout review concludes that the DB15 300 Blackout rifle is a quality AR-15 rifle. It is great for various shooting applications, including hunting, self-defense, and tactical operations. Further, it comes at a great price compared to other AR-15 rifles on the market. The DB15 300 Blackout offers several key advantages, including:
- Lightweight Design: The Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle features a lightweight design.
- Customizability: The DB15 300 Blackout rifle is highly customizable. The Picatinny rail and M-LOK handguard allow the shooter to mount various accessories easily.
- Reliable Performance: The DB15 300 Blackout rifle is reliable.
- Looks: The DB15 300 Blackout is a great-looking gun.
- Price: The MSRP on the DB15 300 Blackout is $862.00. Although, a quick search online results in multiple retailers offering special rates starting in the high $600s. A great deal!
Overall, the Diamondback Carbon DB15 300 Blackout rifle is a quality AR-15 rifle with a range of features. At the same time, other high-quality AR-15 rifles are on the market. The DB15 300 Blackout’s lightweight design, customizability, and great price make it a great buy.
Diamondback DB15 .300 Review FAQs
Yes, the Diamondback DB15 .300 can be used for hunting medium-sized game such as deer or hogs.
The accuracy of the Diamondback DB15 .300 depends on several factors. The shooter’s skill, the quality of ammunition used, and the specific model and features of the rifle. Some users have reported achieving sub-MOA (minute of angle) accuracy with the rifle.
The Diamondback DB15 .300 can be a suitable rifle for beginners, particularly those with prior experience shooting firearms.